Saturday, April 10, 2010

Voyeurism

I would say yes. I am a voyeur; everyone is a voyeur. I believe its human nature to be a voyeur, to watch what goes on around you, and its even more intriguing when you know that the person/people you are watching do not or cannot see you. Voyeurism is one of the ways people learn new things is by observing what people do. Watching a movie, in a way, could be voyeurism and it replicates the same sense of watching someone with out them knowing. I actually enjoy being a voyerist, not in an inappropriate way, but from looking at it from a learning perspective. For example, I am a lifeguard, so watching people is my job and technically we are somewhat of voyeurists. We are required to watch people yes, but I find pleasure in it partly because I know I could potentionally save someone and partly because I learn a lot from watching how people act in certain situations. And as a lifeguard most people tune you out of their senses anyway because they are involved in what they're doing at the pool, wether it be swimming laps or playing with their kids. So really it is like watching people without them knowing because they are not sensitive to the fact that you are there. They've become accustomed to having a lifeguard around while swimming, so therefore I don't feel like people sensor themsleves from what they would normally do. I have actually been able to watch lap swimmers and swim teams at the pool and learned how to improve my own strokes and they probably don't even realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment